Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A New Game

“He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, and he loves me not - - - aha!” Ms Muse cried. She was holding onto a stem that use to look like tulip. She was sitting under an old Elm tree and the six petals were strewn all about her. “How have you been?” She laughingly asked me as she waved the headless flower stem at my direction.

I looked at the decapitated flower and stated, “That ugly thing reminds me Ms. Muse, You wanted to talk to me about bugs?” I asked as a dragon fly flittered onto the stem top.

“Not right now, later in the summer.” She brushed away the question hanging in the air. “We must create some tulips and cake slices.”

“What? Tulips and cake slices?” I asked incredulously. How do they fit together as one piece? I just hated how she would jump from topic and new piece to another idea entirely.

“Not together silly” she replied as she admired the lovely green and violet translucent bug.

“Well how then?” She had such a way of aggravating me drawing things out just to tease me.

We are going to create an artist book of cake with cake slices! Then we are going to deconstruct Mapplethorpe through sugar tulips of course.

Oh, sure of course, I thought sarcastically. Sometimes her statements made absolutely no sense at all. I sat down beside her as she handed me a fresh tulip to decapitate. “Loves me, loves me not, loves me”, she started chanting. “What colors do you think would work for Mapplethorpe, since he worked a lot in black and white photography?” I asked. “And, how are we going to create the cake slices for the artist book?” My mind was racing at the speed of sound and thus began our next game.

No comments:

About Me

Artist Statement: As an alternative sugar artist, it is my intent to surprise and delight my audience with sculptures that depart from everyday boundaries, thus creating rich dialogue around objects of edible art.