Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Watching Animal Planet with Ms. Muse

Ms. Muse gets very bored easily. She fidgets and turns, she twists and bounces. Very seldom does an actual television program capture her attention. She once told me television was a middle-of-the-road, common place entertainment babysitter for adults and children alike. I replied, “Yes, but some pieces created with the mediocre video or film turn out to be the some of the most interesting things.”

“True.” She quipped, “but it takes so long, and has too many commercials to get to that point with a majority of the creative endeavors.” I gave up the argument and handed her the remote control, “Fine, here switch to something that interests you,” I said.

Ms Muse flipped the channels until she landed on the Animal Planet. “Look at those bugs!” She was very fascinated. Ohhhhhhhh, cockroaches! She asked, “What could we do with cockroaches?” She turned and looked at me and asked her eyes large and dilated with excitement, “And what art shows do you see coming up on the horizon.”

I am working on “America the Great Melting Pot as you know,” I said. She rolled her eyes, and in her most prissy voice whined, “I know, that is completely done and created in your head and we can actually see it finished. Now all you have to do is make it and that is that,” she sassed while brushing the invisible crumbs from her hands and looking at me as if to say, “Done with that project and onto the next one.”

I wasn’t sure where she was going with the cockroaches from the Animal Planet, but I’m sure it will be interesting; the television program was forgotten and she was talking a mile a minute with new ideas popping and our world was once more electrified.

No comments:

About Me

Artist Statement: As an alternative sugar artist, it is my intent to surprise and delight my audience with sculptures that depart from everyday boundaries, thus creating rich dialogue around objects of edible art.